Every January people make resolutions to live a better life in the coming year. Some of the most popular goals focus around exercise, eating better, and being healthier in general. While these are admirable goals to set, they can be hard to stick to when life gets busy. To help you keep your 2017 fitness resolutions, we have gyms, fitness clubs, and hiking trails for you to try.
You may be wondering, how is this year going to be different? How am I going to keep my New Year’s resolutions? The trick is to create realistic goals that can be achieved throughout the year. If you want to lose 20 pounds in 2017, set a goal to lose five pounds every three months without gaining any of it back. Or if you want to be able to run a 10k, set up a training schedule to be able to run a little further every week. By setting milestones, your goals aren’t ambiguous or overwhelming, so you’re more likely to achieve your fitness goals. And, most importantly, don’t forget to treat yourself when you accomplish one of your milestones!
- Anytime Fitness: You can’t make any excuses to not keep your fitness New Year’s resolution with this gym. It’s open 24/7 and has plenty of locations throughout San Antonio, so you can’t say that you don’t have time or access. Take advantage of the gym’s Get Started Plan and then stick to your goals on their equipment or in one of their cycle, cardio, or yoga classes. Membership starts at $39 per month.
- Revolution Sport & Fitness: If you need more accountability to get your workouts in, personal training at this studio may do the trick. They have private and semi-private training that is based on putting in the effort consistently. It is closest to The Place at Castle Hills and The Place at Oak Hills; however, it’s less than 15 miles from any of our properties in San Antonio. A private session costs $85 and semi-private costs $50.
Getting in shape doesn’t have to be at a traditional gym running on treadmills and lifting weights. If you don’t like going to the gym or need a little more variety, mix it up with some of these specialty gyms around San Antonio:
- The District: This gym is unusual and has an interesting variety of classes and equipment. You can join the popular Crossfit movement if you want to work with trainers and weights. If you’re more into group classes, join one of the movement groups that include acro yoga, tumbling, aerial silks, and inversions/hand balancing. Or go for something more rugged with the 24 hour bouldering (rock climbing without ropes or harnesses) part of the gym. Join for $40 per month or $12 for a day pass.
- EnergyX Fitness: This is another unique studio for you to try. All of their workouts are based around rowing. But that’s not all. You can take one of the classes that feature rowing plus strength training, yoga, circuit training and suspension training. They have several types of packages and memberships, but the monthly membership costs $130.
San Antonio has so many amazing hiking trails for you to check out in 2017. Get your friends, family, or even your precious pup to go with you so you have some extra motivation. Make a weekly hiking date when you can try a new trail, or make a goal to beat your previous time. Here are a few trails we recommended in our dog-friendly hikes post:
- Brackenridge Park: This hiking trail is about eight miles away from The Place at Houston Street. Take a quick drive over with your family and pets to go on one of the hiking or jogging trails. If you’re feeling ambitious, ride your bike to the park and then enjoy one of the urban biking paths.
- Eisenhower Park: Get in a strenuous and elevated hike at this San Antonio park. You are sure to love the paved and natural paths and the beauty of nature as you keep your fitness goals. Eisenhower Park is about six miles from both The Place at Oak Hills and The Place at Castle Hills.
- McAllister Park: Stick to your exercise routine by going to one of the most popular parks in the Alamo City. Enjoy a workout on one of the hard or soft trails and then enjoy a rewarding (and healthy) picnic. This hiking spot is just under eight miles from The Place at Castle Hills.
This is the year you’re going to keep your fitness and health goals all year long. Create a plan and then stick to it with these gyms, studios, and trails in San Antonio.